You are not connected.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1UFC 118: Battle of Champions! Empty UFC 118: Battle of Champions! 8/27/2010, 11:46 pm

ip0nder

ip0nder

As my first article of this website, I won't be doing a whole card article. Just the co-main event. So, you'll be able to read my input, the strategy, and my predictions of both fights. And in the end, I'd like to hear your feedback. What did you think of my predictions or the article for that fact. What's your thoughts. I want to know you are thinking. So don't be scared to share your opinions when you're done reading this article. But only when you're completely done. Very Happy

Randy Couture vs. James Toney
UFC 118: Battle of Champions! Randy-Couture UFC 118: Battle of Champions! James_toney

First, let me give you the low down. Pretty much, in a nutshell, James Toney has been harassing Dana White until he finally signed him to a fight, and Couture was called up and said "Sure, I'll fight him." That's pretty much how it started. From there, Toney has been talking mad smack talk, and the whole time Couture has just kinda laughed at him. Now, did he laugh at him because of his trash talk, or is he laughing at him because it's a boxer making the major transition (see what I did there?) into Randy's world. Honestly, the way I see it, this is going to be an exciting fight for more than one reason.

Let's start with James Toney. He's been a boxer forever. The guy is a veteran of the sport, for sure. His first professional bout was in 1988 and kept the streak (not counting draws) for 6 years, with a total of a 44 fight win streak. Fedor who? His first loss was to the hands of Roy Jones Jr. which is no means of demeaning the man. Roy Jones Jr. is just a freak of a beast. His record now rests at 72 wins and 6 losses, and 3 draws. Let me repeat that. 72 wins and 6 losses!!! Are you kidding me?! Wicked.

Now, this could mean a lot of things. Can he take a punch? Does he have good cardio? What is his chin like? Well, he can take a punch, and his chin must be pretty good seeing as all of his fights that he's lost has gone to decision. And I think that speaks for his cardio. My problem is though, when you have a boxer standing a specific way for so many years, it's going to be a hard habit to break. Look at it this way. A MMA fighting will stand more parallel to his or her opponent, to be ready for more strikes like kicks and sprawling becomes easier. A boxer will be more vertical to their opponent, making it harder for their opponent to hit them. Therefore, the boxers front leg is more exposed, and more at danger of being taken down with ease.

We've talked about his losses. Let's speak shortly about his wins. James Toney wins most of his fights by way of knockout. He has had 44 knockouts in his pro boxing career. So, it sounds like he has a good punch to him, for those that don't know him. This man, judging by the way he looks, would look like that he's a fat push over. But, so does Roy Nelson. So, let's recap Toney for a minute. He has decent cardio, he can take a punch, and he can deliver one with power to rock your brain to your skull like a ping pong ball. Now the question is, can he do that to Couture.

This will be Toney's first MMA fight. He's never fought or even sparred with small gloves before, let alone work any type of wrestling or ground game. My concern isn't his ground game. We know he won't have any. My concern is his well he can keep Couture on the outside before he gets pressed up against that cage with Couture's famous Greco Roman Wrestling. But, until tomorrow night, it's just a guessing game. Honestly, He's got a punchers chance. But, that's about all he's got. I'm excited to see what kind of defense he has for Couture. We'll see.

Randy Couture on the other hand seems to have it almost easy. He's the guy that's been in this game for a long time. He knows the ground game. He has that wrestling background. He has the experience for this. Big problem though. Most people think that because of his age, he's getting worse and slower. He's won his last two fights, which kind of proves them wrong. He has some pretty damn good submission defense. If you don't believe me, watch his fight with Nogeria. You won't know what to do. And he has some good hits, ask Mark Coleman. But Randy is known for his Greco Roman. He's known for pushing guys up against the cage and wearing them out. Ask Brandon Vera. He's good at it. But, I'm hoping that he doesn't think he can stand with Toney. Suicide much?

Now don't get me wrong. He could probably stand with Toney if he wanted. But we all know what's going to happen. He's going to take him down and just pound him out. But just to make all those cocky boxer wagon jumpers, I'd love to see Couture knock Toney out at his own game. While that won't happen, Randy has more riding on this fight than Toney does. This fight in being promoted as MMA vs Boxing. Well, if Randy loses, it looks bad for our sport. If he wins, everyone will just call Randy a bitch for not standing. So, either way, it kinda seems like Randy can't win with the fans. My biggest concern with him though is that Randy has never gone on a 3 fight win streak. 2 fights is his max. And he just won his last two fights. I'm hoping that Randy can keep hungry for this fight and pull out this third win. After that fight though, I feel that he should retire. He's just not a contender anymore. With guys like Brock Lesnar, Junior Dos Antos, etc, I just don't find him getting back to the belt. And if he does, it probably won't end good.

I am, however, convinced that Randy will be winning this fight. That's a chance he could get knocked out, but that chance is very rare. And that perfectly timed left or right hook when Randy shoots for a take down is near impossible. So I see this fight ending in the first round. Done.

Anyway people, I'll be doing the main event sometime later. I don't have time now. But I'll find time to do it. Hope those of you that did read it did enjoy it, and I promise I will be back soon with more. So keep on the lookout.

K!LLA B33

K!LLA B33

Awesome read and very well written! Cant wait to see your work on the league events. As far as the matchup, I agree 100%. Randy should man handle Toney pretty easily. I'm predicting a 1st round RNC. Twisted Evil

3UFC 118: Battle of Champions! Empty Re: UFC 118: Battle of Champions! 8/28/2010, 11:43 pm

Geek

Geek

Yea, like the article man. Gotta be excited to have someone good in the Journalist section and glad to have ya hear. Like K!LLA said good read, and def. agree with the analysis. Keep the stories coming Wink

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum