You are not connected.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Community Commentators Empty Community Commentators 5/18/2011, 6:41 am

ultranova5000

ultranova5000

Has anyone tried to wrap their head around how this could be done?

First off can the in game announcers be turned off/muted (I haven't checked)?

If so that's a start. Here's my ideas

Live Commentating:
Theory1:
Now we know fight cards allow up to 8 people even though only 6 are fighting. That means there's room for a camera person (assuming that person isn't fighting on the card) and a commentator (also assuming that person isn't fighting on the card). If the camera person turned down the overall volume of the game (along with muted announcers), then set their voice communication output to "speakers" or "both" then that person will pick up the audio from mics. Unfortunately anything the camera person says won't be picked up in the feed. So I was thinking perhaps use the party chat feature... ok bear with me here cause this is a little tough to explain

1-Camera person starts a party chat, he then invites the commentator who's in the game(commentatorA) and a commentator who isn't in the game(CommentatorB).

2-Camera person has it set up to record from speakers so you can hear

3-CommentatorA focuses on the action since he can see it so this commentator would be a play by play

4-CommentatorB focuses on fighter history, previous fights, stats/records, ect... since this person can't see the fight.

Now obviously this is only a problem on a full fight card and CommentatorA will always have priority of commentatorB (like if CB is talking but something happens like a knockout, CA can interrupt at any time).

However if we limit fight cards to 3 fights then we can have 2 live commentators. When the 3 fights are up another card could be set up for the rest of the fights, so we would do a 8 fight card, 3 fights at a time. This would require more organizing using party chat to make sure everyone who is waiting to fight knows they will fight after the current 3 fights are over, especially if all 3 fights go the distance, they could be looking at 45+ minute wait till they fight just sitting in the lobby however they could watch the live broadcast on justin.tv if they are bored.

Theory2:
Another option would be a double streaming of the justin.tv stream. In other words, the camera person in game streams the justin.tv live signal. Then one of the announcers (or a third party producer with software to stream off their desktop), host a skype room while broadcasting the original stream of the fight along with the audio from skype. This frees up the logistic nightmare of commentating however it might lead to further degredation of the original stream since it would be restreamed by justin.tv and compressed even more.

Advantages - honest nature of a live broadcast, there would be no need to fake excitement or disbelief since the commentating would be going on live.
Disadvantages- Commentators could drop the ball or say the wrong thing or let out a curse (it is live TV afterall). The commentators couldn't fight on the card or if they did fight, they couldn't commentate their own fight (I know I can't talk and fight at the same time).

Non-live Commentary:
This would be done after the initial broadcast. Someone would need to take the Justin.TV stream and record the whole video. Then get the other commentators on skype and try to sync up both videos by pressing play at the same time (so neither commentator is ahead). The 2nd commentator would be watching the stream at the same time as the 1st commentator but the 1st commentator is recording the commentary and will later edit it into the footage captured from the justin.tv stream and then upload it somewhere.

Advantages- since it's all recorded, a intro using the OMMA logo as well as bumps for fighters (like in prideFC) can be added in and the production value could be higher. To help simulate a live feel, the announcers would have no knowledge as to how the fight happened and should announce while watching the fight for the first time. That doesn't mean there can't be some scripting in the commentary either if someone flubbed something or coughed, that could be edited out.
Disadvantages- It's another show and the live broadcast will suffer since it will just be fighter sound effects. Odds are people aren't going to watch the produced version if they already watched the live broadcast.

That's all I can think of about this, neither option is perfect but I would prefer trying to get the commentary live with theory1 and perhaps working out a way of sharing commentator responsibilities so that commentators could fight and have someone take over for them during their fight unless that person is comfortable commentating his own fight but I doubt people will have fun talking about themselves in third person and paying attention to their opponent.
http://geekintomma.blogspot.com/

2Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/18/2011, 10:55 am

Droges

Droges

sounds pretty bad ass.
when they to LB, the commentartors just talk over top of the in game announcers?

3Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/18/2011, 11:51 am

Rainboi21

Rainboi21

I would actually love to be a commentator... As wf knows, Im pretty good at play by play and I've always liked to give it my own touch. Like Goldberg has "it is ALLLLLL OVER" and tbh I hate the in game announcers and their "he just landed his 1st kick" (after 20 kicks) and crap. Just hit me up, I'm down.

4Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/18/2011, 12:16 pm

stikstyle

Yes the all in game sounds can be completely muted. No on the actual EA Live Broadcasts we have the in game commentary turned off. The only in game sounds you hear is the crowd which also covers all strikes and the ref etc etc.

The easiest way to do this with no headaches is to use your in game headset. Since 360 allows for cross game voice chat it works beautiful. Your person who is streams just makes sure that the only people he has in the voice chat party are the commentators. Note he also needs to make sure that the party chat has priority over the Fight Card Chat.

5Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/18/2011, 3:43 pm

ultranova5000

ultranova5000

stikstyle wrote:
The easiest way to do this with no headaches is to use your in game headset. Since 360 allows for cross game voice chat it works beautiful. Your person who is streams just makes sure that the only people he has in the voice chat party are the commentators. Note he also needs to make sure that the party chat has priority over the Fight Card Chat.

Now that is a much easier way, I was over thinking things way too much. Guess I shouldn't come up with ideas at 4am with a fever and woozy on cough syrup.

I think having a live commentator team would make the broadcast more interesting and more entertaining to watch. It will attract new members as well since people get a kick out of hearing their actual fighter names and biographies or past fights. The only problem I see with the above model is that the commentators couldn't participate in the card (fight in them), but maybe something can be scheduled if we have enough people. I know Rainboi21 wants to do it but is anyone else willing to give it a shot?

6Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/18/2011, 4:21 pm

Rainboi21

Rainboi21

ultranova5000 wrote:
stikstyle wrote:

Now that is a much easier way, I was over thinking things way too much. Guess I shouldn't come up with ideas at 4am with a fever and woozy on cough syrup.

I think having a live commentator team would make the broadcast more interesting and more entertaining to watch. It will attract new members as well since people get a kick out of hearing their actual fighter names and biographies or past fights. The only problem I see with the above model is that the commentators couldn't participate in the card (fight in them), but maybe something can be scheduled if we have enough people. I know Rainboi21 wants to do it but is anyone else willing to give it a shot?

since I fight in Fight Force, it's really makes sense for me to do it. I mean, not to be a dick to FF guys but there's not a whole lot of appeal in watching FF fights, but Bushido and UC have big draws to them and I wouldn't participate in them anyway.

Just hit me up with details and I'll be there. Plus, with our ever-expanding staff (esp. Russianboy, Droges, Bronzy, and Killa Bee) I can read articles and bring those to the table during the cards.

7Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/20/2011, 3:10 pm

ele25

ele25

Lets do it..

8Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/20/2011, 3:24 pm

Droges

Droges

FF doens't have a draw? *sniff* they may be struggling but I think there is a draw even though that wasn't your point anyway.

Charles carter, Arid Jokers camp, jonny, TWX blueprint's heel camp, etc.. its all there. but ya if you only have so much resources then its nature to put it towards bushido for the cream of the crop.

9Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/20/2011, 4:06 pm

OnlineMMA

OnlineMMA
Fight Force is a draw to me. Razz

10Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/20/2011, 4:18 pm

ele25

ele25

I guess you havent watched many FF fights. then some of them are more competitive than Bushido and UC.

AND DONT HATE ON MY FIGHT FORCE GUYS.

11Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/20/2011, 5:10 pm

BronzyCoder

BronzyCoder

I don't hate on da fight force. I'd prefer to fight there tbh, there's a whole lot more sorta community there. Bushido is sort of...faceless. Yknow? Nobody talks as much, but it seems people in FF do. I'm not saying the Bushido guys don't care, but FF....just seems a whole lot different.

12Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/20/2011, 5:14 pm

ele25

ele25

You can thank the president/ promoter for doing that..I pm some of the Journalist staff regularly. Didnt know you were on it...you should do some write-ups/predictions as well for Fight Force and the other leagues.

13Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/20/2011, 5:29 pm

BronzyCoder

BronzyCoder

I'm not gonna be a Journalist for long, talked to Fisk about it, I don't think I would be useful to the journalistic group in any way. Droges, Rainboi, Russianboy etc. got it covered, they're better than me at that. If you want me to help with anything in it though, I'd be happy to, same goes to Jonny and Charles.

14Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/20/2011, 5:49 pm

Rainboi21

Rainboi21

BronzyCoder wrote:I'm not gonna be a Journalist for long, talked to Fisk about it, I don't think I would be useful to the journalistic group in any way. Droges, Rainboi, Russianboy etc. got it covered, they're better than me at that. If you want me to help with anything in it though, I'd be happy to, same goes to Jonny and Charles.

at the moment, I'm mainly covering real-world stories, Droges and Russianboy have gotten down all the OMMA related materials pretty well.

no! I wasn't dissing fight force. I'm saying if you compare the views of each, Bushido dances on FF. and I fight in FF, so if it was a dis to FF then it was a dis to me. Not to mention I'm 0-1 (tentatively 0-2, fighting aridjoker, you kiddin' me? He'll mosh me.)

15Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/27/2011, 1:18 am

Rainboi21

Rainboi21

ttt... I really wanna get on this lol

16Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/27/2011, 1:26 am

ultranova5000

ultranova5000

Well we are still brainstorming here.

Maybe we should have a test before we commit it to a live broadcast that way people won't have to be waiting too long while we figure out exactly how it would work and if the lag will affect the announcing. I noticed in EA's live broadcast, it seems the broadcasters are sometimes lagging behind the action, I don't think it's too big of a problem but defiantly something that should be thought of when announcing.

It's really up to killa bee since he's the camera person and if he wants another thing to worry about during the live broadcast aside from trying to get all the fighters to meet up. The commentators need to be reliable and show up or at least provide a day's notice if they can't make it. Granted there are real life issues that are always more important like a fire or your kid fell down the stairs which can be forgiven for missing a fight card but most people should know what they have scheduled a day into the future.

17Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/27/2011, 1:35 am

Rainboi21

Rainboi21

absolutely. I'm open Saturday nights though and it's really just a matter of switching the audio from game chat to party chat and switching it from 'Headset' to Speaker mode. The ONLY downside to this is that he wouldn't be able to talk during the broadcast.

18Community Commentators Empty Re: Community Commentators 5/27/2011, 6:14 pm

K!LLA B33

K!LLA B33

I would love to be a commentator but I wont be able to if I have a fight or someone from my camp fights bcuz we corner each other in private chats. I'll gladly commentate FF events for sure though. i'll also do any card that I'm not on. Very Happy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum