You are not connected.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Weaver talks about OMMA debut Empty Weaver talks about OMMA debut 12/7/2010, 4:49 pm

Mike Michaels of MMA Online Bi-Quarterly caught up with OMMA middleweight newcomer Oren Weaver at Highland MMA in Denver to discuss his upcoming debut and his in-laws

Michaels: "First off Oren thanks for taking the time to talk to us

Weaver: Sure thing Mark, it's my pleasure.

MM: Erm.. It's Mike, but anyway. Let's talk first a little about why you came to OMMA?

OW: Well I had my choice of organizations to join. However some, I won't name names, had contracts that were way to restrictive. I mean the one org that really was after me too wanted to control how often I fought, who I fought, what I did when I wasn't fighting... I mean dang guy let a guy live too. Again not naming names but Dana's a dick, Wilson however is quite magnanimous. He gave me a 4 fight contract and no restrictions. So the choice was obvious.

MM: Not naming names huh? Anyway, lets move on. Were there any other factors in coming to OMMA? Had you had a chance to see any of the first events?

OW: Oh yeah definitely. I'm a fan of MMA as much as I'm a competitor. I was able to catch Fight Force 2 on PPV and was in attendance at FF3. The fights I have seen have been anything but boring.

MM: Indeed they have. What prompted you to come to the show for FF3?

OW: Well really it was a couple things. Firstly my training partner/best friend/brother-in-law was fighting on that card and I wanted to be there for him. Especially since I wasn't able to be there for his first fight live. Secondly, it was around the time where Wilson was recruiting me and I absolutely had to get a feel for how they run things before I made my final decision. What better way to do that than to be there live? Right?

MM: Wait, your related to one of the OMMA fighters?

OW: Yep I am. JB is right out there in the gym working on the heavy bag.

MM: JB? You mean John Black?

OW: Yeah JB is what I call him... but I wouldn't suggest you call him that. He only let's me because we're family. I couldn't vouch for your safety if you did it.

MM: I don't think you'll need to worry about that. Can you give us a little back story on how you guys are related?

OW: I guess so. JB moved here back after his mom passed. My family and his were friendly so we ended up at the same events. 4th of July, camping trips, etc, we're both the same age so we ended up going to school together and just always got along and became really good buddies. In high school JB dated my sister for a time then after college they got back together and were married just this last spring.

MM: How interesting. Now let's talk about you a bit more. How do you feel you're going to affect the middleweight division in OMMA/FF?

OW: Well first I'm going to put 110% into every fight I am given here. You won't see a poor effort from this kid, win, lose, or draw.

MM: And where do you find yourself heading in the division? Is there title aspirations in your head?

OW: Of course there is. There isn't a single fighter in this league that doesn't want to get to the top. I'm no different in that regard, I want that shiny belt around MY waist.

MM: And what can you bring into the ring that makes you better able to reach that height?

OW: Well I think that what I have over the other middleweights is that I'm a well rounded fighter. I see a lot of the guys in the division are more stand up, kick boxing types. I can stand and bang too, but where I have the edge is my submission game.

MM: Really? On your bio sheet I don't see anything about being a BJJ black belt or Judo or anything that gives that impression.

OW: Well that's because I don't care if I go through the testing and formal training in any discipline. I've trained with world class BJJ guys like BJ Penn, Werdum, Mayhem and the like. I know I'm at a level that they are, and just because I don't have a belt to show it doesn't mean I'm not there. I'm not here to say I'm the best BJJ guy on the planet, I'm here to be the best in OMMA, and I'll use my skills whatever they may be to get there.

MM: Interesting way to think about it. I guess in today's MMA we're a bit conditioned to look at a persons awards and acclaim outside of the ring as a measure of how they should fair inside it.

OW: Yeah man it's totally different when your in the ring. Just because one guy is a world champ in BJJ doesn't mean he can't get sub'ed by a schlump that doesn't even know what BJJ is. That's why I just concentrate on being well rounded, and doing what ever training I need to to get better in the ring. Belt or no belt.

MM: Well I can definitely see you have the fire, now we just wait to see if it relates to wins. Speaking of wins, do you predict a "W" against Thomas?

OW: I can't predict anything, I'm not Miss Cleo. I will say that I have a chance in the fight as much as Silva did against him. I'm going to study the film of the Thomas v. Silva matches and game plan it. See where I can fit my skills best and put them to use most effectively. But as with any fight, once you step inside the cage each fighter has a chance. We could grind away at each other for 15 minutes or one of us could drop the other in 15 seconds. Each fight is different and predicting outcomes is difficult if not impossible. All I can do is go in fight my fight and let the chips fall where they may.

MM: Oren it's been a pleasure to talk with you and we wish you luck against Blake Thomas in Fight Force 5.

Droges

Droges

nice interview Mark.. errr I mean mike.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum